A Puff of Responsibility is a late 2016 Spider-Man/Powerpuff Girls crossover fanfiction written by Max Carroll. The story serves as a direct sequel to the original Powerpuff Girls, taking place 9 years afterwards, with the Powerpuff Girls now teenagers and attending Pokey Oaks High School. The story revolves around 15-year old Peter Parker, a child who had just moved to Townsville from New York City with his Aunt May and Uncle Ben. However, when Peter is bitten by an irradiated spider during a field trip, he gains spider-like powers. But when he doesn't use them responsibly, a burglar kills his Uncle Ben, he vows to use his powers to protect the city in the name of law and order.
15-year old Peter Parker has just moved to Townsville with his Aunt May and Uncle Ben after the latter had gotten a promotion at work. Peter, a shy intellectual, quickly befriends Townsville's resident superheroines, the Powerpuff Girls, becoming particularly close with Blossom. On his first day of school, Peter learns that his class would be taking a field trip to a science exhibit being hosted by Doctor Otto Octavius, Peter's old Science Camp teacher. After arriving, the class learns that Octavius' experiment would involve a radiation generator and a 4 armed mechanical apparatus which could withstand radiation particles. While the experiment is going, however, Peter is bitten by a spider that had been irradiated by the machine's energy output. Peter then falls unconscious and is rushed home.
Upon regaining consciousness, Peter is informed that he might have fallen unconscious when Octavius' irradiated arms came into contact with the air. He is then informed that he would have to stay home for the rest of the week. However, Peter quickly discovers abilities that were given to him by the spider's irradiated venom, such as superhuman strength, speed, agility, the ability to scale walls, fire organic webbing from his wrists, an an uncanny sixth-sense, most of which he uses to avoid getting beaten up by Buttercup's boyfriend Mitch. Afterwards, Blossom went over to Peter's house and kissed him, but was quickly rejected by Peter due to the possibility that their relationship wouldn't be approved and the fact that Peter was in love with his childhood friend Mary Jane Watson. However, Peter soon regretted this and began planning on how to make it up to her and repay his aunt and uncle for all the kindness they had shown to him after his parents died.
Days later, Peter is ready to return to school. However, when Uncle Ben opts to drive him. They then have a conversation about Peter's recent behavior, and Ben tells Peter a lesson about great power and great responsibility, only to be angrily brushed off by Peter. At lunch, Peter and Mitch get into an altercation wherein Peter embarrasses Mitch by telling the entire school about their scuffle the other day, causing everyone to laugh at Mitch and for Buttercup to break up with him.
After school, Peter heads for the city, but instead of going to the library like his Uncle Ben believed, he heads for an underground wrestling ring. Upon arriving, he witnesses a wrestler being practically crippled by Seth, the Duke of Death. Peter then signs up and puts on a makeshift costume. He then battles the wrestler and defeats him in a very short fight. Peter is then praised by the audience, who hail him as "the Amazing Spider-Man".
After the match, Peter goes to collect the $4,000 dollars that were offered, only to be cheated out by the promoter when he gets a measly $1,200 dollars instead. A thief soon burgles the promoter, and Peter hesitates and allowing the thief to escape. When the promoter confronts Peter about it, though, Peter simply rationalizes it as revenge and leaves.
When Peter arrives home, he notices a police car parked out front of his house. He is then informed by a police officer that his uncle was murdered by an armed burglar, and that said burglar was holed up by the police and the Powerpuff Girls in a warehouse at the waterfront. Out of a need for revenge, Peter suits up as Spider-Man and goes to confront the killer. Upon arriving, Spider-Man beats the killer into a concussion, only to discover that he was the crook from the wrestling arena, the one he could have stopped when he had the chance. Just as the killer is about to shoot, though, Spider-Man disarms and knocks him out. He then picks up the gun and fires off a shot in order to alert the police and escapes. Peter then sits on a gargoyle overlooking the city's skyline, wishing that he could have saved his uncle.
Days later, after Uncle Ben's funeral, Peter, after hearing comforting words about Uncle Ben, decides to make up for his death and dedicates his life and powers to fighting crime and the forces of evil as Spider-Man. He stops a series of crimes across Townsville, eventually becoming the city's top sensation for the next few days. However, the Powerpuff Girls become very suspicious of the new hero, with Buttercup in particular being extremely afraid of the vigilante. Blossom then proposes that they simply ask the hero if he's legitimate to his claim or not, not wanting to have a repeat of Major Man from years past.
The following evening, the girls encounter Spider-Man, with Buttercup brutally attacking the hero and forcing Bubbles to restrain her. Blossom then interrogates Spider-Man, asking him if he's true to his claim. Spidey answers that it depends on how she would define "legitimate to claim", but tells her that a wise man had once taught him a very important lesson about power and responsibility. Blossom then hesitates for a moment, and allows the wall-crawling super hero to leave. Buttercup then angrily accuses Blossom of letting go of a "freak", with Blossom replying that some people in Townsville view the Powerpuff Girls as freaks sometimes.
When Professor Utonium was traveling from his home in the suburbs to the Townsville Radiology Department, he was abducted by the Vulture, a man named Adrian Toomes in an winged exoskeleton. The Vulture then accuses the Professor of stealing his work. Spider-Man, who had just been in the area at the time of the abduction, rushes to the scene upon hearing the Professor's cries for help. After rescuing the Professor, Spider-Man and the Vulture engage in a lengthy battle stretching from the Townsville Clock Tower all the way to City Hall, where Spider-Man finally defeats the Vulture by tricking him to fall for a trap. Afterwards, Peter asks Blossom out on a date, which she accepts.
A week later, Peter and Blossom finally go out on their first date together to a seaside diner on the beach. However, in the middle of their date, the two are interrupted by the untimely appearance of the new villain Shocker. After a long fight, Spider-Man and Blossom finally subdue Shocker and turn him over to the authorities.
Many characters from both franchises were kept from the source material they originated. All Powerpuff Girls characters and many Spider-Man villains remain identical to how they appeared in the TV series and comics. However, some of Spider-Man's villains had their entire backstories reinvented or were versions created exclusively for the series.
- Spider-Man/Peter Parker
- Mary Jane Watson
- Harry Osborn (mentioned)
- Blossom Utonium
- Bubbles Utonium
- Buttercup Utonium
- Ms. Bellum
- Mitch Mitchelson
- Robyn Snyder
- Aunt May
- Uncle Ben
- Mojo Jojo
- Fuzzy Lumpkins
- The Amoeba Boys
- The Gangreen Gang
- The Rowdyruff Boys
- Brick Jojo
- Butch Jojo
- Boomer Jojo
- The Vulture/Adrian Toomes
- The Shocker/Herman Schultz
- The Hobgoblin/Jason Macendale
- Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius
- Electro/Max Dillon
- Venom/Eddie Brock
- The Scorpion/Mac Gargan
- The Spider-Slayer
- The Green Goblin/Norman Morbucks
- Green Goblin II/Princess Morbucks
- The Lizard/Professor Utonium
- Mysterio/Mandark (Dexter's Laboratory)
- The story went through several drafts, all of which retold the Spider-Man origin story. The first draft had elements that were kept in the final product, such as it being a direct sequel to The Powerpuff Girls Rule!!!, many classic Spider-Man villains were reinvented, and Peter would gain a romantic interest in a girl at school. However, the basic plot for this story was that Peter was created when a small spider dropped itself into a vat of Chemical X, causing it to transform into a little boy. The second draft was a complete retelling of both the Spider-Man origin stories. This draft kept the same origin as the first draft, but was changed to the night that Professor Utonium was about to create the "perfect little girls", instead creating a little boy. In this draft, the Professor's laboratory assistant, Jojo, transformed into the Green Goblin instead of Mojo Jojo, sparking many battles with Spider-Man.
- Many villains were recreated to fit the narrative and story of the Powerpuff Girls universe. These include Professor Utonium being the one who transforms into the Lizard (instead of Curt Connors) while testing a regenerative formula with reptile DNA, Mandark (from Dexter's Laboratory) becoming Mysterio after developing an interest in Spider-Man, and the mentally unstable Norman Morbucks, the adopted older-brother of Princess Morbucks, becoming the Green Goblin.
- Norman's eventual death at his own hands would set the catalyst for Princess Morbucks' vendetta against Spider-Man, from hiring the Hobgoblin to destroy him, to enlisting the aid of Doctor Octopus and Mojo Jojo to construct the Spider-Slayer, to finally becoming the new Green Goblin herself after she discovers Norman's past, and for her to eventually die battling Spider-Man in the suburbs.